Oct 23, 2006

Rasam Powder

Rasam Powder Ingredients
I like to try making my own Spice Mixes. By making spice powders at home I can control the hotness of the chili powder and add a little more of my favorite spice.

I got this recipe for Rasam Powder from my cousin sister Shyamala from Mysore. She gave me measures in gms and kgs. I converted them to tsp and tbsp with my own instinct. I don't know whether mine and her rasams taste the same. Mine came out good so I will stick to it. I will mention both the measures you can follow any one.

coriander seeds 1/4 kg or 10 tbsp
red chillies 1/4 kg or 15 nos
cumin seeds 25gm or 2 tsp
methi seeds 25gm or 2 tsp
mustard seeds 25gm or 2 tsp
peppercorns 25gm or 2 tsp
turmeric 25gm or 2 tsp
hing 5gm or 2 chickpea size

Dry roast all the ingredients separately. Roast the spices till they are aromatic. Spread on a plate or paper, let them cool completely. Grind all the spices to a smooth powder and store them in a jar.

No comments: